Buttloads of stuff

Lots of stuff coming in!

The cutest package from Thailand:

Cute box contained connectors for Toyota coil on plugs. Most likely fake as fuck but hopefully they work enough.

Pistons, again.

Arp hardware – studs and bolts. No cat this time.

Engine management unit from MaxxECU, with long loom, lambda sensor and stickers!

The turbo – BorgWarner EFR 6258. Hardware kit needed.

Toyota coil on plugs (dirty and used) – look how the last one is bit short and stubby compared to the rest of the coils. The last one is from Yaris and the long and skinny ones are from Lexus. Funny thing is that I ordered four Yaris ones but got three Lexus coils and one Yaris.

Not going to complain, because the Lexus coils seem to fit pretty well into 4A head. 🙂

Lexus coil part number – 90919-02246

Widric’s turbo

While pondering how we should approach Widric’s turbo installation, we sat down and grilled a bit. 4a block has found its place as shelving. If only the block could be chilled to +4°C, it could keep drinks cool 🙂

The new turbo is a Power Enterprise P1818, if I remember correctly. According to some unknown source, it should spool really quickly.

The turbo has different kind of inlets and outlets compared to stock one (stock one has this weird 90° bend in the turbine inlet, below the blue silicone hose replaces that)

Gott in himmel! Untenseewaffe!

(This kinda reminds me of that Subarute episode on MCM – whole turbine poking through bonnet) 😀

Widric has this rather cool HKS front mount kit, which will need slight modification. Hopefully the turbo works with the front mount.

The tide is turning!

Seems that I have reached the point where there is nothing to take apart anymore!

One of the pistons (the one that had a ultrasonic bath) taken apart and measured – maybe bit too HDR-ish photo 😀

The new oil pump, this one with 74mm gears. I found some info about how the new dry pump should be primed with grease or assembly lube, but I think that is for later.

Finally, I’ve at least primed the engine block! Got all of the paint stripped, the block cleaned and greaseless and then painted with 2-component epoxy primer (which is actually fine for only coat, but maybe light silver top coat…?)


Important bits taped off


Swapping the speedo

Totally forgot this thing. I had a euro style speedo sitting on my shelf for a long time and when I finally did the swap, I forgot to make an update.

Tearing the gauge cluster off the dash

I’ve been thinking that I should build my own backlight system for the gauges. At least there is plenty of space behind the gauge faces.

Think these wires were in specific order and I took a picture of the order, but what were they connected to…?

One of the connectors behind the SC cluster – again, why did I take this pic? 🙂

Total kilometers dont match

Little bit of power drill (its a misery to separate the wheels and setting the total kilometers manually)

Looks a bit better now – matching kilometers on both speedos

I had misplaced the speedo needle from the 240km/h one. Replaced it with the JDM one.

The gauge cluster clear cover is bit dusty. One thing I did was to block off the original ECT-S hole in the upper left corner. There should be a voltage gauge but I dont have one. Instead, now I have a ECT-S gauge and a economy gauge. Meh.

Moar photos

Valve covers are off – camshafts look fairly good. MRP turbo manifold testing.


Testfitting the turbo manifold – reverse angle


There was a reason behind this pic but I’ve forgotten it


Half decent gaugepod, painted satin black and in proper place


Trying to figure out if I have stock camshafts


That 212 in the casting made me wonder – stock camshafts are 232° if I remember correctly, but then again, it could be 272 (TRD camshafts). Measuring the cam lobe finally told me that I was dealing with stock shafts. Woo-hoo.


Some engine bits in ultrasonic cleaning solution


One of the pistons looking good after washing it


Engine block going into machine shop


My turbo manifold and Beldins RS2871R GT2876R


Number one main bearing


Widric pondering if Beldins turbo would fit his Impreza


Oil pump for the project

One genuine late model oil pump with seals! gaskets!

One of the weird things I’ve found: There are two different oil pumps.

Early models have 78mm diameter pump gear with a crescent shaped piece in the middle. Later models are using 74mm pump gears. Obiviously, AW11 has the early model, which is not compatible with the stronger Toda gearset.

I’m definetly going to run this new engine to the max, all the way to 12000 rpm so mod is much needed. 😀



Here is the original pump, with the crescent shaped piece between gears: